Against the background of the provisions and decisions of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and in particular
those on access to genetic resources and benefit-sharing, the Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam is dedicated to promoting the conservation,
sustainable use, and research of biological diversity. The garden therefore expects its partners in acquiring, maintaining and
transferring plant material to always act in accordance with the CBD.
The responsibility for legal handling of living plant material passes on to the recipient of the material. The requested
plant material will be supplied on the following conditions, as drafted by the International Plant Exchange Network
1. The plant material is supplied only for non-commercial use such as science, conservation and educational purposes. Should the
recipient at a later date intend a commercial use or a transfer for commercial use, the country of origin's prior informed consent
(PIC) must be obtained in writing before the material is used or transferred. The recipient is responsible for ensuring an equitable
sharing of benefits.
2. On receiving the plant material, the recipient endeavours to document the received plant material, its origin (country of origin,
first receiving garden, 'donor' of the plant material, year of collection) as well as the acquisition and transfer conditions in a
3. In the event that scientific publications are produced on the supplied plant material, the recipient is obliged to indicate the
origin of the material (the supplying garden and the country of origin) and to send these publications to the garden and to the
country of origin without request.
4. On request, the garden will forward relevant information on the transfer of the plant material to the body charged with implementing
the CBD (ideally, the national focal point in the garden's home country).
5. The recipient may transfer the received plant material to third parties only under these terms and conditions and must document
the transfer in a suitable manner.
By ordering seeds or other plant material, the recipient accepts the above terms and conditions and pledges to act accordingly.
Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMD), 2017.